3 Key Points:
- Education is very valuable, but you must connect practical value to what you are learning.
- One secret of entrepreneurial success is to be a grinder.
- Validation is a critical component to ensure that you do not fall in love with a business idea that no one will care about or buy.
- Jamie shares where he is from and what growing up was like.
- The conversation shifts to where work ethic and drive came from for Jamie.
- Jamie recounts childhood memories.
- Jamie explains that he played sports as a kid but was not involved in organized sports because of his conservative religious family.
- When asked about school Jamie recounts how he needed to see practical value in what was being taught for him to be engaged as a student.
- Jamie talks about his early experiences of leadership in the family and at his church.
- Jamie talks about his decision to not go to university and the choices he made after high school.
- Jamie explains that being an entrepreneur and having an unwavering belief in one’s self and the business they are starting is not the norm. Most entrepreneurs are filled with self-doubt and often struggle with confidence, but they grind and that is what helps them succeed.
- Validation is the key, don’t fall in love with your business idea to the point that you ignore whether other people want it and will pay for it.
- Jamie tells the story of his first business failing and starting his second business which went on to be a remarkable success.
- Jamie recounts the story of resisting his forty which included divorce, homelessness, drug addiction, and associating with criminals. Seeing everything in a moment of clarity changed Jamie’s life forever, he realized he needed to change at that moment and he did and has never looked back.
- Jamie talks about his long-standing practice of reading books centered on a theme, 2018’s theme is psychology and emotion.
- This podcast interview was originally aired on Resist Forty: Tales of Outliers and aired on February 19, 2018.
This episode sponsored by:
If you are hiring a new employee, we highly recommend that you use the Screen2Fit recruitment platform by Pro.File.
I use Process Street to create systems in my business and I highly recommend that you use Process Street as well.
If you enjoyed this interview, then you will love my new book The Blueprint of a Great Business! This book is for self-employed people with service-based businesses that want to provide for their families and create freedom and flexibility in their lives.