3 Key Points:
- Education is very valuable, but you must connect practical value to what you are learning.
- One secret of entrepreneurial success is to be a grinder.
- Validation is a critical component to ensure that you do not fall in love with a business idea that no one will care about or buy.
- [02:25] – Jamie shares where he is from and what growing up was like.
- [04:53] – The conversation shifts to where work ethic and drive came from for Jamie.
- [05:55] – Jamie recounts childhood memories.
- [07:27] – Jamie explains that he played sports as a kid but was not involved in organized sports because of his conservative religious family.
- [09:02] – When asked about school Jamie recounts how he needed to see practical value in what was being taught for him to be engaged as a student.
- [09:39] – Jamie talks about his early experiences of leadership in the family and at his church.
- [15:00] – Jamie talks about his decision to not go to university and the choices he made after high school.
- [17:55] – Jamie explains that being an entrepreneur and having an unwavering belief in one’s self and the business they are starting is not the norm. Most entrepreneurs are filled with self-doubt and often struggle with confidence, but they grind and that is what helps them succeed.
- [20:11] – Validation is the key, don’t fall in love with your business idea to the point that you ignore whether other people want it and will pay for it.
- [29:09] – Jamie tells the story of his first business failing and starting his second business which went on to be a remarkable success.
- [41:02] – Jamie recounts the story of resisting his forty which included divorce, homelessness, drug addiction, and associating with criminals. Seeing everything in a moment of clarity changed Jamie’s life forever, he realized he needed to change at that moment and he did and has never looked back.
- [51:18] – Jamie talks about his long-standing practice of reading books centered on a theme, 2018’s theme is psychology and emotion.
- This podcast interview was originally aired on Resist Forty: Tales of Outliers and aired on February 19, 2018.
If you enjoyed this interview, then you will love my new book The Blueprint of a Great Business! This book is for self-employed people with service-based businesses that want to provide for their families and create freedom and flexibility in their lives.