As Les Brown said, “everyone knows that being rich doesn’t make you happy but everyone wants to find out for themselves.” It is not my intention to foster in you an unhealthy love of money but rather to show you that when you achieve balance in your life you can accomplish amazing things.
How to Make More Money in 2017
Conventional wisdom says that there are three ways to make more money:
- Earn more money
- Spend less money
- Earn more money and spend less money
It really is that simple and yet most people are finding it more and more difficult to stay afloat. Why is that and what can be done about it?
- Debt is crushing families in Canada. Note what the CBC reported earlier in the year: “The typical Canadian owed $21,348 in consumer debt at the start of 2016, a figure that has jumped 2.7 per cent in the past year and doesn’t include mortgage debt. That’s the conclusion of a new report from credit monitoring firm Trans Union, which said Canadians now have more of virtually all forms of consumer debt, including credit card debt, installment loans, and car loans. The lone exception to the trend was lines of credit, the size of which declined by 0.54 per cent in the past year, Trans Union said.” – CBC.ca
- Income is not keeping up with inflation. Note what the Huffington Post reported: “Average weekly earnings in Canada for January were up a paltry 0.4 per cent over the prior 12 months, a recent Statistics Canada release shows. That’s far slower than inflation.” Click Here to read the entire article.
So what can you do about a world that is crushed by debt and inflation is outpacing income?
- Invest in yourself. This first step is not about “paying yourself first” which is important and is covered in point two. Rather it is about analyzing yourself and identifying any psychological or emotional problem areas that may be driving your behavior with money. A great book I just read to help with this is Living the Truth: Transform Your Life Through the Power of Insight and Honesty by Keith Ablow MD.
- Educate yourself about money. Go to the library and get an audiobook about how to make the money you do earn work for you. One book I recently read was The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me for Women. These five principals alone will change your entire economic future.
- Double your income. Now admittedly depending on the type of job you have this may not be possible but I would like you to consider something. If you made this your goal, you analyzed your own job performance, identified areas that you can improve on, read books about how to improve your performance in your given field (The Psychology of Selling by Brian Tracy helped me double my income in one year), discussed this with your supervisors and made a plan with your supervisors to achieve higher results in 2017 and then followed through and got those results, what do you think may happen to your income? Would it be so out of this world crazy to expect that you could negotiate a 10%, 20% or even 50% raise?
- Learn to make passive income. The world is full of opportunities to make additional income. The Digital Revolution has changed the business landscape forever. The great thing is you can do this with almost no money at all. Check out The 3S Method for ideas about this.
As in all aspects of life, if you want something to change you have to change something within yourself first. Once you change, the things you look at and do will begin to change. It requires hard work and determination but if you can dream it, plan for it and take action to reach your dream you can achieve virtually anything you set your mind on as long as you are willing to pay the price to get it.
My name is Jamie Irvine and I really appreciate you taking the time to read this post. Please share it with your family, friends, and colleagues and if you would like to contact me please fill out the contact us form.